After spending the last couple of years working on a long term XS650 hard tail project situated in his unit lounge room; on the top floor of a lift-less unit, our homeboy Stephen Broholm finally pulled his finger out and completed his compulsory motorcycle course.
This led to an immediate problem as he finally learned how to ride a motorcycle yet didn't have a running bike to jump straight on to. With Nicolette, Stephen’s way better half also obtaining her licence as well, it was quickly decided that getting their hands on a small capacity run around bike would be a great way to gain much needed experience to roll with the SCR crew. Most importantly, whatever bike that was chosen needed to be suitable for Nicolette, as she would be the future owner of the bike.
A registered 1981 CB250N was found at the right price, however it was located some distance away near Batemans Bay. With only one hour of riding experience on public roads, Stephen took the plunge and flew 300km to pick it up and ride back to Sydney sight unseen. Much to our surprise he made it home alive.
It didnt take long to make a decision on the bikes future. It had surface rust on every possible part and so it was decided that it shall be pulled apart and turned into a cafe racer within a 2 -3 week timeline. As the bike is going to be Nicolette’s sometime soon, she provided a helping hand (Mind out of the gutter...) in getting the bike constructed. Stephen’s brother Michael also played a huge role in getting the project completed and was a integral part of the build in giving direction along with offering his welding and painting skills.
- Kawasaki KH100 fuel tank modified to fit backbone and painted “Cherry Bomb” graphics
- Inverted Scorpion Euro Handlebars
- Mini indicators
- Bates Style Vintage taillight and plate holder
- Replacement ebay special headlight
- New gum style grips
- Mini mirrors
- Yamaha XS650 rear springs
- Custom seat pan utilising closed cell foam and black vinyl
- New front disc and pads
- Homebuilt mini battery using A123 cells
- Unused tags removed from chassis
- Cut down front fender painted in satin black
- Unidentified steel rear fender installed and painted satin black
- Stock wheels painted in satin black
- Chassis and various parts painted satin black
- Fork lowers (new seals) and triple tree painted satin black
- Modified stock gauge and idiot light assembly (2 inches lower and leaner)
- Under seat stash tube (now copper)
- Engine and carbs left stock
- Airbox removed with pod filters installed
- Headers wrapped
- Hotdog mufflers